Finish out the year strongly by investing in your team and/or yourself to propel professional stamina into 2021 – which is only about six weeks away – by carving out time to take courses from ESA’s National Training School (NTS). This is a positive way to end what has been a rather trying year, to say the least, and set a clear, decisive tone for your team in the new year.
Whether looking to hone a particular skill, obtain required CEUs, receive a license or certificate, ESA offers the industry’s standard in training. Four new video CEU courses have been added to our lineup of vital industry knowledge and for the remainder of November, save up to $45 on OSHA 10 and OSHA 30 online courses.
Also, take advantage of our Training as a Service (TaaS), a customizable in-house employee onboarding and staff development program — now with tiers for employees with:
- 0-6 months of employment.
- An advanced track for employees with 6-18 months employment.
- A track specifically designed for educating salespeople on security technologies.
To help students achieve their goals, NTS’ expert instructors have over 500 years of combined industry experience and they are excited to partner with each NTS student. They understand that teaching in today’s virtual environment takes a different skillset and teamwork between themselves and their students. Afterall, the National Training School has been offering virtual live courses well before the COVID-19 turmoil.
Our virtual instructors have modified their teaching styles specifically for a virtual live environment, reflecting their passion for the subject matter. They ensure student success by:
- Ensuring their communications are crystal clear and precise to help remote learners stay up to speed.
- Stating exactly what their learners need to know, typically repeating it in different ways for student understanding: verbally, followed with a written follow up and then another follow-up via a checklist, for example.
- Organizing all communications in an easy-to-access, logical way. For example, instructors may share documents and make the document viewable on the screen.
- Building rapport and encouraging teamwork with their students by connecting on a personal level. Don’t be surprised if one of our instructors tells a funny story about an installation gone wrong or about one of their pets and then asks you to share, too!
The other half of the team is you – the virtual learner! Here are some specific skills to learn, actions to take, and tips and tricks to deploy to team up with your instructor to achieve your pro security and pro fire learning goals:
- Treat your National Training School class like your job. Schedule class times on your calendar; choose to show up prepared to absorb knowledge.
- Eliminate distractions. Isolate yourself from temptations, such as your smartphone that is full of games and social media alerts.
- Actively participate. This includes live chatting with your instructor and other peers as well as taking notes, which promotes active thinking, boosts comprehension and helps keep your focused.
- Say no to multitasking. During class, dedicate all your focus and energy to absorbing all the information being presented.
- Ask questions. Be a proactive learner by asking questions as soon as you have them; don’t wait until later or you might forget. Alternatively, jot down your question and email your instructor later.
- Make your class enjoyable. Have your favorite beverage and snack at the ready; use a special writing instrument; use noise-cancelling headphones or earbuds; and stand and stretch regularly.
- Reward yourself. When you have successfully completed your course, treat yourself. You’ve earned it!