This three-hour course will help participants address the growing problem of incivility in the work setting. This course introduces the concept of civility, its importance to a company, as well as its typical causes and effects. Skills needed to effectively practice civil behavior, as well as different ways organizations can systematize civility in the workplace will also be discussed.
- Define civility, understand its causes, and enumerate at least three of its behavioral indicators.
- Understand the costs of incivility, as well as the rewards of civility, within the workplace.
- Learn practical ways of practicing workplace etiquette, including the proper use of greetings, respect, involvement, and political correctness.
- Learn the basic styles of conflict resolution and identify the style most appropriate for managing particular conflicts in the workplace.
- Learn skills in diagnosing the causes of uncivil behavior.
- Understand the role of forgiveness and conflict resolution in the creation of a civil working environment.
- Understand the different elements of effective communication, particularly effective para-verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Learn facilitative communication skills such as listening and appreciative inquiry.
- Learn specific interventions that can be utilized when there’s conflict within the workplace.
- Learn a recommended procedure for systematizing civil behavior within the workplace.
What to expect in this course: The presentation includes text, audio, graphics, videos and activities to help you absorb the information presented. This course has a short quiz at the end, which you will be required to pass with a 70% or greater to complete the course.